WHY TRAVEL WITH US?
Throughout our web sight you will find the answers to all of these questions, however below we have compiled a list of 10 simple questions to help make it easy for you and to help you make your decision. There are several things to take into consideration (other than price) when choosing who to travel with:
1) Are the Skipper and crew qualified with internationally recognised maritime qualifications?
Our answer: All Ocean Expeditions Skippers and crew are qualified by RYA (Royal Yachting Association)
2) What about safety? Is the vessel in survey / coded / seaworthy? Does the vessel meet any internationally approved category 0 (zero – Unrestricted) safety standards?
Ask us for our survey / seaworthy certificates which are all kept onboard.
‘Australis’ is registered as a commercial vessel, Category 0 (zero – Unrestricted), type expedition.
3) Are the operators experienced? Who will be the skipper / crew? Are they experienced in the area? Do they have local knowledge? How long have they been in the area? How well can they guide passengers?
Our answer: Roger and Ben alternate as skippers. Both have been running yacht operations in the area since late 1990’s (spanning three decades), therefore they have a wide range of knowledge and experience in these regions and are willing to share this with passengers whilst onboard. There is an international crew of three in total, whom all have sailing experience from various parts of the world.
4) Do they have a good reputation? Does the vessel / skipper have a good / bad track record?
We have operated in the area avery year since 1997 and are considered one of the pillars of Antarctic yachting.
Dose the vessel have a permit to visit Antarctica? Ask to see it.
5) How comfortable will it be onboard? Is there hot running water, separate cabins, showers, power?
‘Australis’ is the largest sailing yacht regularly operating in the Antarctic. As there is a water maker onboard, the clients have access to luxuries such as hot showers and running water, unlike other yachts. There are four guest cabins, providing ample room for passengers and their gear. There is normal 240 vault power onboard, which providing endless power for charging equipment (eg. batteries, cameras, hand held devices) and for electrical goods, such as the microwave and kettle.
6) What equipment is onboard? How many dinghy’s does the vessel have for you / your clients to go and explore / carry equipment ashore / etc?
See our equipment list for each vessel for more details, however we carry a 2 dinghy’s, numerous Kayaks, dive gear and more.
7) What about loyalty?
We reward loyalty with discounts for return guests.
8) Are there any hidden fees?
Our price includes food, fuel, permits and all expenses. There are no hidden fees.
Dont get caught out by fees you may not have expected, for example for food, fuel (can be several thousands of dollars) or South Georgia landing (can be several thousands of dollars).
9) Do I need sailing experience?
No sailing experience is required from passengers. Our vessels are sailed by the ships crew – The crew have International maritime qualificaions.
10) Is every trip is uniquely customised?
Our mission is to become the first choice in expedition services in the polar regions, providing safe, reliable and efficient solutions to meet the needs of our clients.
“Experienced people, using quality equipment, delivering tailored services”
The way we conduct ourselves is based around the following core values;
Safety First – we strive to ensure the safe guard of all persons
Act with Integrity – we will deliver all commitments as agreed
Fulfil Expectations – we strive to fulfil client expectations by going the extra mile
Environment – we aim to conduct business in a way that has minimal impact
Trust – we gain the trust of our clients through superior performance
Years – we are committed to building long term relationships in the polar regions
Our objective is to build a reputation for professionalism having quality people, supported by quality purpose built fleet of vessels that are fully equipped with the latest technology and equipment.